BLOOMFIELD, N.J. – The Thomas Jefferson University volleyball team (17-9, 12-5 CACC) clinched a spot in the CACC Tournament with a 3-2 victory at Bloomfield (14-10, 10-7 CACC) on Saturday.
The Rams trailed 5-2 in the opening set before going on a 6-0 run to take an 8-5 lead. Jefferson led for the majority of the frame. With the score 19-17, the Rams recorded six of the next eight points for a 25-19 win.
The Bears started the second with five of the first six points. They held the upper hand for the rest of the stanza. With the Rams within three (19-16), Bloomfield finished the set with a 6-3 run for a 25-19 victory.
In the third, the Bears had another hot start, jumping out to an 11-4 advantage. However, Jefferson rallied back to get within two with a 5-0 stretch. There were three ties in the set before Bloomfield led 23-19. The Rams then stunned the Bears with six straight points to claim the frame, 25-23.
Jefferson got out to a 7-3 lead in the fourth. Bloomfield steadily climbed back into it, tying the score at 11. It was the first of eight ties for the rest of the set. With the Rams clinging to a 22-20 cushion, the Bears clawed back with five of the next six points to win 25-23 and force a fifth stanza.
Jefferson allowed the first point of the fifth but responded with six consecutive points to take control. The score was 9-4 when the Rams pulled away with a 4-0 rally. They went on the clinch the match with a 15-7 decision.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Cassandra Hickman totaled a team-high 13 kills, five digs and two blocks.
- Junior Abigail Kress notched 12 kills and three blocks.
- Junior Lauren Kloos produced nine kills, four service aces and eight digs.
- Senior Amber Johnson and junior Logan Dontell each tallied six kills. Johnson had a .417 hitting percentage and four blocks.
- Sophomore Molly Hand compiled 37 assists and seven digs.
- Senior Alexis Leddy and junior Caitlin Crespo recorded 17 and 12 digs respectively with Leddy adding five service aces.
- Jefferson has a three-game win streak for the third time this year.
- Leddy registered her 100th career service ace in the match. She also closed to within 28 digs of the program's all-time record held by Courtney Wensel (1,565).
- Crespo reached 900 career digs.
Jefferson has secured a spot in the CACC Tournament. The Rams currently sit in third place in the South Division with two games remaining. They will be either the third or fourth seed in the division and play on the road in the quarterfinal round on Tuesday, November 19. Georgian Court and Holy Family are currently tied for first place. Wilmington (Del.) also has a berth locked up and sits in fourth place.
Jefferson finishes the regular season with a two-game home stand starting versus Chestnut Hill on Wednesday, November 13 at 6 p.m.