PHILADELPHIA – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) volleyball team (9-6, 4-2 CACC) earned a 3-1 victory over visiting Caldwell (5-12, 3-2 CACC) on Homecoming Saturday afternoon.
The Rams were ahead 10-6 in the opening set but the Cougars rallied to tie the score at 11. The teams battled back and forth afterwards with seven ties over the next several points. With the score tied at 20, Caldwell posted five of the next seven to take the first set, 25-22.
Jefferson trailed 8-4 early in the second but fought back with a 6-1 run to take the lead. Holding a two-point advantage (17-15), the Rams pulled away for a 25-20 win. Jefferson again was down to start the third by a 5-3 score. The Rams rallied for eight of the next 10 points to go ahead. After the Cougars evened it up at 11, Jefferson had a 6-1 stretch for a 17-12 score. The Rams would not fall behind for the remainder of the stanza en route to a 25-19 decision.
Jefferson dominated the fourth frame, recording the first three points and never trailing. The key stretch came with the Rams clinging to a one-point lead (4-3). They then exploded for 12 of the next 14 to go ahead 16-5 en route to a 25-15 victory to clinch the match.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Senior Ariana Rosario totaled a career-high 21 kills, hitting .386 for the match.
- Junior Abigail Kress tallied 14 kills and 19 digs.
- Junior Logan Dontell registered 10 kills and four blocks.
- Sophomore Molly Hand amassed 48 assists and 10 digs.
- Senior Alexis Leddy and juniors Meghan Patterson and Caitlin Crespo contributed with 18, 13 and 10 digs respectively.
- After a slow start, the Rams had hitting percentages of .308, .271 and .290 in the final three sets.
- Jefferson won back-to-back matches for the fifth time this season.
- It was the fifth straight match between Jefferson and Caldwell that lasted four sets.
Jefferson visits Chestnut Hill for a conference match on Tuesday, October 8 at 7 p.m.