NEWARK, Del. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) volleyball team (3-2) completed a 3-1 weekend at the Wildcat Regional Invitational with a pair of victories on Saturday.
The Rams topped American International, 3-2 and had a 3-1 victory over Le Moyne.
GAME ONE – W, 3-2 vs. American International
The teams were tied at 15 in the first set. Jefferson took control with a 6-1 run and would go on to take the opening stanza, 25-19. The Yellow Jackets got off to a fast start in set two, jumping out to a 10-2 lead. With the score 12-6, AIC pulled away with a 10-0 rally and took the set, 25-9.
The Yellow Jackets again started strong to begin the third, holding a 7-1 advantage. The Rams chipped away and cut the deficit to one (14-13) but AIC scored five straight points to gain some breathing room. The Yellow Jackets would win the frame, 25-18. In the fourth, AIC held a 22-18 advantage and Jefferson called timeout. The break energized the Rams as they would go on an 8-2 streak to win the set, 26-24.
In the decisive set, Jefferson got out to a 5-1 lead. AIC fought back and was able to tie the score at 13. However, two attack errors thwarted the Yellow Jackets and the Rams took the match with a 15-13 decision.
GAME TWO – W, 3-1 vs. Le Moyne
The teams were tied at four apiece in the opening set when Jefferson had six consecutive points to take over. However, Le Moyne battled back and tied the score at 22. After a kill by the Dolphins, the Rams recovered for three straight points to win the set, 25-23.
With the score tied at 19, Le Moyne reeled off six of the next eight points to win 25-21 and even the match at one set apiece. Again the teams went back and forth in the third frame and were tied at 19 late in the set. Jefferson was able to outscore the Dolphins 6-3 and win the third set, 25-22.
The Rams had an 11-7 advantage in the fourth but upped the margin to 10 with a 6-0 run. Le Moyne only closed the gap to eight before Jefferson clinched the match with a 25-13 victory.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Lauren Kloos tallied 30 kills on the day with four service aces, 15 digs and four blocks. She was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Junior Abigail Kress produced 24 kills with junior Logan Dontell adding 16. Dontell also had two service aces and five blocks.
- Senior Amber Johnson contributed with 18 kills and five blocks.
- Sophomore Molly Hand totaled 102 assists, five service aces and 12 digs over the two matches.
- Senior Alexis Leddy chipped in with 44 digs.
- Kloos reached 500 kills for her collegiate career. She previously played two years at LIU Post.
- It is Jefferson's first three-game win streak since the Rams won nine in a row from September 28-October 19, 2018.
Jefferson hosts Goldey-Beacom for its home and conference opener on Wednesday, September 18 at 6 p.m.