WILMINGTON, Del. – The Philadelphia University women's tennis team was upended 6-3 in its first-ever match against Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference opponent Wilmington (Del.) University Wednesday afternoon at the Delcastle Tennis Center.
Philadelphia (5-7, 2-4 CACC) got off to a strong start with wins in two of the three doubles matches.
The Rams' No. 1 tandem of Jala Hamada (Giza, Egypt/Dar El-Tarbia, IGCSE) and Linde Zwaan (Apeldoorn, Netherlands/Gymnasium Apeldoorn) notched its seventh victory of the season with an 8-4 triumph against Begona Gomar and Laura Gil. Katelyn High (Lancaster, Pa./Lampeter-Strasburg) and Emily Zygmunt (Yardley, Pa./Pennsbury) gave Philadelphia a 2-1 lead with a hard-fought win over Sabrina Blasi-Smith and Lauren Kiger at No. 3, 9-8 (7-0). High and Zygmunt improved to a team-best 8-3.
In singles play, Philadelphia ran into trouble as Wilmington (6-3, 5-1 CACC) took five of the six matches.
The Rams' lone singles victory came when High knocked off Kiger in the No. 6 match, 6-2, 6-1, to pick up her seventh win of the year.
Philadelphia returns to the Abraham Salaman Tennis Courts to conclude the regular season with a CACC match against Caldwell on Saturday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.
WILMINGTON (Del.) 6, PHILADELPHIA U. 3
1. Asushka Sathe (WILM) def. Jala Hamada (PHI) Injury default
2. Begona Gomar (WILM) def. Linde Zwaan (PHI) 6-1, 6-2
3. Laura Gil (WILM) def. Usha Baublitz (PHI) 6-2, 6-0
4. Sabrina Blasi-Smith (WILM) def. Emily Zygmunt (PHI) 6-1, 6-3
5. Millca Knezevic (WILM) def. Mariana Sampaio (PHI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Katelyn High (PHI) def. Lauren Kiger (WILM) 6-2, 6-1
1. Hamada/Zwaan (PHI) def. Gomar/Gil (WILM) 8-4
2. Sathe/Knezevic (WILM) def. Sampaio/Baublitz (PHI) 8-1
3. High/Zygmunt (PHI) def. Blasi-Smith/Kiger (WILM) 9-8 (7-0).