RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The No. 16/18 Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (14-0, 5-0 CACC) erased a halftime deficit and began a three-game road swing with an 84-75 victory at Felician (2-9, 2-2 CACC) on Saturday afternoon.
The Rams are ranked 16th in the latest D2SIDA Media Poll and they are 18th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
The Golden Falcons got off to a hot start, building an early 10-2 lead in the first quarter. Trailing 13-5, the Rams went on a 9-0 run to take a 14-13 advantage. Felician scored nine of the final 11 points and led 22-16 after one. The teams continued to trade baskets in the second and the Golden Falcons led by as many as eight (33-25). Jefferson had the last four points of the period and trailed 33-29 at the half.
Felician continued to hold the upper hand for the first part of the third quarter. The Rams rallied to tie the score at 48 with 2:22 to go. After the Golden Falcons took the lead, Jefferson surged for eight of the last 10 points to take a 56-52 advantage into the fourth. The Rams led by as much as nine in the period before Felician was able to get within three (77-74) with 3:00 to play. Jefferson pulled away with a 7-1 run as the Rams did not allow a field goal the rest of the way.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham posted a season-high 23 points on 9-of-19 shooting with a trio of three-pointers. She added six rebounds, four steals, two assists and one block.
- Senior Beverly Kum notched her second double-double of the year with 11 points and 10 boards.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski and junior Alynna Williams tallied 19 and 18 points respectively.
- Senior Erin Maher contributed with eight points and eight boards.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 37.7% (26-for-69) from the floor, 36.4% (8-for-22) from beyond the arc and 66.7% (24-for-36) from the free throw line.
- The rebounds were even at 46 apiece.
- The Rams struggled in the first half, shooting just 27.3% (9-of-33) but recovered to go 17-of-36 (47.2%) after halftime.
- Jefferson now leads the series versus Felician, 13-2 and the Rams are 6-1 on the road. The Rams have won seven straight games overall and three in a row at Felician.
- The victory was head coach Tom Shirley's 762nd of his career and the 613th at the helm of the Rams.
Jefferson Women's Basketball continues the road trip at Chestnut Hill on Tuesday, January 8 at 6 p.m. Jefferson swept the season series against the Griffins last year, including a 74-71 triumph on the road.