NEWARK, Del. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (8-0) cruised to an 83-58 victory at Wilmington (Del.) (0-8) to start the CACC schedule on Tuesday night.
Jefferson is ranked 19th in this week's D2SIDA Media Poll and they are 25th in the WBCA Coaches Poll.
The Wildcats hanged tough with the Rams for the first four minutes as Jefferson was ahead by just two (8-6). Then, the Rams went on a 10-0 run to open up a 12-point advantage. Wilmington would win the second quarter by a 20-19 margin and was within striking distance at the half, down 45-34. Jefferson kept its foot on the gas in the second half, outscoring the Wildcats, 38-24 to pull away for the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham led the Rams with a game-high 19 points on 7-of-18 shooting, with four three-pointers, six assists, five rebounds and five steals.
- Senior Erin Maher and junior Alynna Williams each contributed with 14 points. Maher drained four shots from beyond the arc, grabbed eight rebounds, dished four assists and picked up one block. Williams added five assists, five steals and two rebounds.
- Senior Jessica Kaminski was 6-of-8 from the field and finished with 13 points, six rebounds, four steals and three assists. Fellow senior Beverly Kum totaled 11 points.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams shot 45.7% (32-for-70) on field goals, 44.0% (11-of-25) from three-point land and 66.7% (8-of-12) from the foul line.
- Jefferson won the rebound battle, 41-34.
- The Rams forced 21 Wilmington turnovers and converted them into 18 points.
Jefferson Women's Basketball starts a two-game home stretch when it battles division foe Holy Family on Saturday, December 8 at 2 p.m.