ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. – The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) women's basketball team (1-0) defeated the Molloy Lions (0-1) by a final of 61-56 on Saturday afternoon from Quealy Gymnasium in Rockville Centre, N.Y. in an East Region Conference Challenge matchup.
The season-opening win came as head coach Tom Shirley's 600th career win at the school as he enters his 30th season at the helm of the program. Shirley is now one win shy of 750 for his overall career.
Jefferson led 14-12 at the end of the first quarter. The Rams made six free throws and four shots while going 0-of-5 from deep.
Jefferson found themselves up five at 19-14 and 21-16 in the second quarter before a Molloy run evened the score at 25-all. The Lions scored the final 10 points of the second quarter while the Rams were scoreless over the final four-plus minutes as Molloy held a 30-25 edge at the half.
Sophomore Caitlyn Cunningham and senior Jessica Kaminski combined for 13 of the team's 18 third-quarter points. By the end of the third, Kaminski was 8-of-8 from the line as she finished 11-of-11 on the day. The Rams outscored the Lions 18-10 in the third to grab a 43-40 lead heading into the fourth.
Molloy kept up the pressuring after shooting just 28.6% in the third to convert 50% (7-of-14) of their shots in the fourth to keep the game tight. Kaminski finished with seven points in the fourth as the Rams led by eight points with under a minute to play before winning, 61-56.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Kaminski led Jefferson with 21 points as she went a perfect 11-of-11 from the free-throw line. She is now just 16 points short of 1,000 for her career. Kaminski also recorded eight rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block.
- Cunningham followed up with 16 points in the victory along with nine rebounds, an assist and steal.
- Senior Beverly Kum grabbed a game-high 11 boards in the effort while also finishing with eight points. Six of her 11 rebounds came as offensive rebounds.
- Junior Alynna Williams added nine points on 4-of-9 shooting.
- Senior Erin Maher scored five points with eight rebounds, two steals and an assist. Maher (501) rolled past 500 career points in the win.
AS A TEAM
- Jefferson shot 34.6% from the field (18-of-52), 33.3% from three-point range (4-of-12) and 80.8% from the free-throw line (21-of-26).
Jefferson Women's Basketball returns to action tomorrow, Sunday, Nov. 11 from Rockville Centre, N.Y. as the Rams take on Queens (N.Y.) at 2 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available for the neutral site affair.