PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (22-7) outscored Felician (14-13), 46-32 in the second half to pull away to an 85-65 victory in the CACC quarterfinals on Tuesday night at the Gallagher Center.
The Rams are the top seed in the South Division. They will take on Dominican (N.Y.), the North's second seed, in the semifinal round on Saturday, March 9 at 2 p.m. The semifinals and final will be played at Caldwell University.
The two teams went back and forth in the early going with the Golden Falcons holding a 12-9 advantage at the 14:30 mark. Jefferson then went on a 12-0 run to take control, 21-12. Felician cut the deficit to three (23-20) at 9:53 but the Rams followed with 11 straight points to up the margin to 34-20. The Golden Falcons outscored Jefferson, 13-5 over the last six minutes to trail 39-33 at halftime. Junior DeVaughn Mallory led the Rams in the first half with 15 points and seven rebounds.
In the second half, Jefferson had a six-point lead (45-39) with 16:16 to go. The Rams pulled out to a 55-39 advantage with a 10-0 rally. Felician was able to get back within nine but Jefferson increased the lead to 24 (75-51) with a 20-5 stretch that ended at 5:29. It was the Rams' largest lead of the game and they were not threatened for the remainder of the contest.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Junior Josh Bradanese tallied a game and season-high 26 points on 10-of-16 shooting, 4-of-9 from three, seven rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Mallory picked up his 15th double-double with 21 points and 12 boards. He also blocked two shots.
- Freshman Deondre Bourne totaled 11 points, five rebounds, four assists and one steal.
- Sophomore Alexander Gorton contributed with 10 points while junior Kylan Guerra chipped in with seven points and seven assists.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams were 33-for-68 (48.5%) from the floor, 9-for-25 (36.0%) on three-pointers and 10-for-12 (83.3%) at the line.
- Jefferson forced 17 Felician turnovers and scored 23 points off the miscues.
- The Rams held the Golden Falcons to 36.7% (22-of-60) shooting and just 33.3% (10-of-30) in the second half.
- Jefferson had single digit turnovers for the 10th time this season, finishing with seven.
- The Rams improved to 19-1 all-time in home CACC Tournament games.
- The victory was the 1,096th of head coach Herb Magee's career.