PHILADELPHIA - The Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) men's basketball team (20-7, 15-3 CACC) erased a halftime deficit to defeat visiting Chestnut Hill (3-24, 0-18 CACC), 86-81 on Wednesday night.
It was a close contest full of offense with 17 lead changes and both teams shooting over 50 percent from the field. Early in the first half, the Griffins recorded eight consecutive points for a 13-4 lead. Jefferson responded with a 10-0 run to go ahead, 14-13. The teams traded the lead multiple times from that point until the score was tied at 43 with 29 seconds left before halftime. Chestnut Hill made a three-pointer at the six second mark and went into the locker room with a 46-43 advantage.
The Griffins scored the first basket of the second half. The Rams then went on a tear, posting 11 unanswered points to go ahead, 54-48. With the score 70-65, Chestnut Hill went on a 11-2 surge to jump in front by four (76-72) with 5:57 to play. The Griffins had the upper hand, 81-80, with 1:55 remaining before Jefferson rallied for the last six points of the contest. Junior Kylan Guerra made a layup (1:30) and freshman Deondre Bourne drilled a three (0:50). CHC missed two three-point attempts and Guerra added a foul shot for the final margin.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Junior DeVaughn Mallory earned his fifth straight double-double and 14th of the season, totaling a game-high 24 points, 14 rebounds, three assists and two blocks. He was 10-for-18 from the field.
- Junior Josh Bradanese tallied 16 points, six boards, two assists, two blocks and two steals.
- Guerra and Bourne finished with 15 points apiece and sophomore Alexander Gorton added 10.
AS A TEAM
- The Rams were 31-for-61 (50.8%) on field goals, 8-for-20 (40.0%) on three-pointers and 16-for-21 (76.2%) on free throws.
- The rebound count was even at 34 apiece.
- Jefferson's five turnovers was its second-lowest count of the season, behind January 26 at Nyack when the Rams committed just four miscues.
- Jefferson found out its CACC quarterfinal opponent due to Wednesday's conference results. The top-seeded Rams will host the fourth seed from the North Division, Felician, on Tuesday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. at the Gallagher Center.
- The victory was the 1,094th of head coach Herb Magee's career.
Jefferson wraps up the regular season at Holy Family on Saturday, March 2 at 3 p.m. The Rams defeated the Tigers, 74-63 at home on December 8. Jefferson won 54-52 at Holy Family last season.